Low-FODMAP Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
Hey- it is Nancy here, Andrea’s student, and today I have got a Low-FODMAP hummus to share with you! Yes, that’s right, there is such thing as a delicious hummus without any garlic or onions!
Garlic and onion are two foods that are high-FODMAP, specifically due to their high contents of fructo-oligosaccharides, and can make digestion for IBSer’s unpleasant. Unfortunately, they are also two flavour ingredients that are common in so many dishes!
But – let all your troubles fade away because this hummus is specifically made Low-FODMAP and is still full of flavour!
Hummus is a great snack to help you get through the morning before lunch, as its primary ingredient is chickpeas which is full of protein to keep you full!
An important note about chickpeas is that it is important to use canned, instead of dried. Since FODMAPS are water-soluble, during processing some of the FODMAPS will leach out into the water brine and decrease the overall content in the chickpeas. Thereby making a ¼ of a cup of chickpeas a Low-FODMAP snack!
This Hummus is spiced with roasted red peppers, lemon, cumin and dried coriander. I don’t even miss the garlic or onion in this recipe!
Pair with your favourite Low-FODMAP veggies, or crackers, and you are good to go!
Low FODMAP Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- 2 red peppers
- 1 can chickpeas
- 2 Tbsp tahini
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ water
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ salt
- ½ tsp dried coriander
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Line a baking sheet with tin foil and spray or drizzle with cooking oil.
- Chop red pepper and spread out evenly on tin foil.
- Roast in oven for 20 minutes, stirring throughout.
- Place the remaining ingredients in a high power food processor or blender and blend until smooth. If mixture is too thick for blending, feel free to add small amounts of water until desired consistency is formed.
- Enjoy with your favourite Low-FODMAP veggies like broccoli or carrots!
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- don’t have time to roast peppers? Buy jarred roasted red peppers – 1 medium jar is ~2 peppers!
- don’t want the red pepper flavour? Sub the olive oil for garlic flavoured olive oil and add 2 Tbsp fresh or dried dill for lemony-dill hummus!