As a registered dietitian I am excited to share this simple vegan baba ganoush eggplant dip with you! Did I mention that it is also low FODMAP? Before I knew how easy homemade dips were, I was always so impressed at potlucks. I thought I was eating these extravagant appetizers that used the most decadent ingredients. Perhaps because dips typically have all the ingredients blended well and you can’t see clearly what it is comprised of, or perhaps it is the fancy names that some dips can have like tzatziki dip or skordalia dip. However, when I started researching what ingredients were actually in the dips and how to make them, they often were quite simple.
Making your own homemade dips allows you to control how spicy the dip is, how much salt is added, and whether or not it is low FODMAP. Very commonly store-bought dips are loaded with salt, and also high in garlic and onion, two high FODMAP foods. When you make your own, you get to spice it to the perfect taste!
What is baba ganoush made of?
Baba ganoush is a traditional Lebanese dip. It is simply a roasted eggplant based dip made with tahini sauce, olive oil, lemon juice and spices. Some recipes also include garlic. We’ve omitted the garlic from our recipe to reduce the FODMAPs in our vegan baba ganoush recipe. It is low FODMAP in ½ cup portions, ensuring you get a ton of flavour for dipping vegetables or spreading on sandwiches or wraps! Looking to try another fun Lebanese dish? Try out this delicious tabouleh salad recipe.
Is eggplant low FODMAP?
Yes! Eggplant is a great low FODMAP vegetable. When used in baba ganoush it lends a beautiful silky flavour to the dish.
Is tahini low FODMAP?
Tahini is low FODMAP at 1 Tbsp servings. Along with eggplant, tahini is an important part of giving this baba ganoush eggplant dip some extra creaminess.
Love this low FODMAP recipe as much as we do? Our collection of low FODMAP recipes were created to help you navigate the low FODMAP diet. Many of our patients have tried implementing the low FODMAP diet on their own. However, this diet should be conducted with the support of a registered dietitian. At Ignite Nutrition we offer one-on-one nutrition counselling to help you start on the low FODMAP diet with guidance.
Creamy Vegan Baba Ganoush Dip (FODMAP Friendly)
- 1 medium eggplant
- 2 tbsp tahini low FODMAP at 1 tbsp portions
- Juice of 1 lemon 2-3 Tbsp
- ½ tsp salt plus extra for removing liquid from eggplant
- 2 tbsp olive oil plus extra for drizzling on eggplant
- Preheat oven or BBQ to 400 °F.
- Wash eggplant and slide in 1/4 inch slices. Sprinkle with salt liberally on both sides, and rest in a colander for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, dust off salt and gently press the water out of the eggplant, then drizzle with olive oil.
- Place eggplant on the BBQ or roast in oven until soft and charred (will only char on BBQ)
- Let eggplant cool, and when chilled peel off the outside skin and place the inside flesh in a large food processor.
- Add tahini, lemon juice, salt and olive oil to the food processor and blend until smooth.
- Serve with your favorite low FODMAP pita bread, or veggies.
**Last reviewed May 2022 for Monash FODMAP portions
An Original Recipe by Nancy Gammack
University of Alberta Dietetic Intern