Hey there, it is Nancy, Andrea’s student and I am excited to share a simple Low FODMAP Baba Ganoush dip with you! Before I knew how easy homemade dips were, I was always so impressed at potlucks. I thought I was eating these extravagant appetizers that used the most decadent ingredients. Perhaps because dips typically have all the ingredients blended well and you can’t see clearly what it is comprised of, or perhaps it is the fancy names that some dips can have like Tzatziki or Skordalia dip. However, when I started researching what ingredients were actually in the dips and how to make them, they often were quite simple.
Making your own homemade dips allows you to control how spicy the dip is, how much salt is added, and whether or not it is low FODMAP. Very commonly store-bought dips are loaded with salt, and also high in garlic and onion, two high FODMAP foods. When you make your own, you get to spice it to the perfect taste!
“So, what about Baba Ganoush? That sure sounds extravagant!”
Baba Ganoush is a traditional Lebanese dip. It is simply a roasted eggplant based dip made with tahini sauce and spices.
Eggplant is a great low FODMAP vegetable, and tahini is Low FODMAP at 1 Tbsp servings.
This Baba Ganoush recipe below is low FODMAP in ½ cup portions, ensuring you get a ton of flavour for dipping vegetables or spreading on sandwiches or wraps!
Low FODMAP Baba Ganoush Dip
- 1 medium eggplant
- 2 tbsp tahini (low FODMAP at 1 tbsp portions)
- Juice of 1 lemon (2-3 Tbsp)
- ½ tsp salt, plus extra for removing liquid from eggplant
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling on eggplant
- Preheat oven or BBQ to 400 degrees F.
- Wash eggplant and slide in 1/4 inch slices. Sprinkle with salt liberally on both sides, and rest in a colander for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, dust off salt and gently press the water out of the eggplant, then drizzle with olive oil.
- Place eggplant on the BBQ or roast in oven until soft and charred (will only char on BBQ)
- Let eggplant cool, and when chilled peel off the outside skin and place the inside flesh in a large food processor.
- Add tahini, lemon juice, salt and olive oil to the food processor and blend until smooth.
- Serve with your favorite low FODMAP pita bread, or veggies.