So many comforting dishes in the fall and winter are hard to find low FODMAP – usually because the recipes contain onion and garlic. And that’s exactly what I need in the winter!
I am NOT a fan of these cold winter days. Coming home from a long day when the sun has already gone to bed at 5 pm is not my favourite time of year.
With this low FODMAP Fennel Beef Stew, when I return home there’s a delicious smell coming from my slow cooker crockpot – the winter days get a little better!
Unlike many stews, this dish uses fennel, instead of onions and garlic, to produce the base aromatic flavours. I know I can hear all of you IBS’ers cheering ‘YAY’. And for those whose guts can bear onions and garlic, I promise you won’t miss it this time!
Since it cooks in a crock-pot, simply prepare the ingredients in the morning- and let your crock-pot do the rest!
When I made this dish just for myself, I had lots of leftovers- but I couldn’t of been happier! By freezing the leftovers into pre-portioned containers – I was set for a week of quick meals!
Low FODMAP Fennel Beef Stew
- 1.5 cup chopped fresh fennel
- 2 red peppers, chopped into large pieces
- 2 cups chopped red potatoes with skins
- 2 large carrots, diced
- ½ TBSP rosemary
- ½ TBSP basil
- ½ TBSP oregano
- ½ TSP thyme
- 1 can (14 fl oz) of no-salt added canned diced tomatoes
- 1.5 cups onion/garlic free beef broth
- 500 grams chunks of stew beef
- 2 TBSP cornstarch
- Chop all vegetables and place in a slow cooker.
- Add spices, canned tomatoes, and beef broth.
- On medium heat, fry beef in a frying pan until just brown.
- Transfer beef to slow cooker.
- Stir until evenly mixed and cover with a lid.
- Let cook for 4-6 hours on low, or 10-12 hours on high until meat is tender and cooked through.
- minutes before the stew is done, mix cornstarch in a cup with a small amount of cold water until dissolved. Transfer cornstarch mixture to slow cooker and stir evenly.
- After 30 minutes, serve warm with your favourite bread. (if low FODMAP I like Demspter's Zero Gluten or Little Northern Bakehouse!)