As soon as September 1st rolls in, so does the fall weather. Along with tea, scarves and boots, soup becomes a must. With snow in the forecast, I thought it only fitting to pre-prepare some for the weekend!
This chicken and basil sausage soup has an Italian flare, and with complex flavours it will make it seem like you’ve been in the kitchen for hours!
What I LOVE about this soup is it’s packed full of protein, and helps keep you full longer. It’s like a meal in a bowl. Also see the tips and tricks section for how easy it is to turn this recipe into a ‘sloppy joe’ – a childhood fave of mine!
Chicken & Basil Sausage Soup
Eat This: Chicken & Basil Sausage Soup
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 6 chicken basil sausages
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 can cannellini beans
- 2 cups water
- Garlic olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Quarter the tomatoes and place on a cookie sheet.
- Drizzle with garlic olive oil and sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
- Bake at 400 degrees for ~20 minutes, or until caramelized – LOOK at all that flavour!
- Remove casings from the sausage
- Heat a soup pot, add a bit of olive oil, and cook the chicken sausage thoroughly until cooked through.
- Deglaze the pan with chicken broth
- Add tomato paste, cannellini beans.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes
This is delicious crusty bread or a fresh bun on a cool Fall day!
Tips and Tricks
This soup freezes fantastically. Freeze for lunches or dinners! This soup doubles well in a large pot if you want to batch cook as well.
Add drained frozen spinach to up your veggie intake for the day.
You can choose to add less chicken broth, and serve this soup as more of a ‘sloppy joe’ as well – topping with a bit of freshly grated parm, or mozzarella cheese.