Low FODMAP Broccoli Cheddar Soup
When people think of the low FODMAP diet, they think they can no longer enjoy dairy, or cruciferous vegetables!
Luckily, you still can – you just have to watch portion sizes and the form of the food. While broccoli stalks are high in FODMAPs, the ‘tree tops’ or heads, are low in FODMAPs.
When it comes to lactose, we like to choose low lactose dairy, like hard cheeses and lactose free milk.
Eating low FODMAP doesn’t have to be hard, and you don’t have to give up your favourite foods. Instead, think of it as a ‘swap this for that’! Trust me – no one will know the difference!
6 Ingredient Low FODMAP Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 2 cups broccoli heads
- 2 cups low FODMAP chicken broth (we used Campbells)
- 1 cup lactose free milk
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese
- In a pot add oil and flour
- Stir for 2-3 minutes until bubbly and starting to brown
- Add broth and broccoli heads
- Simmer until broccoli is soft, stirring regularly as the soup thickens (about 5-10 minutes)
- Add milk
- Puree with handheld emulsifier or in a blender, or if you prefer a chunky soup, simmer the soup a bit longer until you can break up the broccoli heads with a fork.
- You may need to add more water to desired thickness, or salt and pepper to taste.
- Melt in cheddar cheese & enjoy!
If you need support on the low FODMAP diet – we strongly encourage you work with a trained dietitian! Work with one of our dietitians today: https://ignitenutrition.ca/