Hey all, this is Nancy here, Andrea’s student and I am so excited to share this one-pot Low FODMAP Chicken Pasta Casserole with you! Although having a can of prepared pasta sauce in the cupboard can make meals quick and easy, they can be challenging to use on the low FODMAP diet. Oftentimes, they are flavoured with garlic or onion, two high FODMAP ingredients. Even when the flavour of the pasta sauce doesn’t have “garlic” or “onion” in the title, for example “Spinach and Cheese Pasta Sauce” it still often contains these 2 high FODMAP ingredients for added flavouring. It is therefore important to be mindful of this when on the low FODMAP diet.
Luckily, making your own pasta sauce is not a lot of extra work and there are so many other flavours than garlic and onion that can make a marinara sauce delicious! The base of any pasta sauce is crushed tomatoes and in this recipe we go back to the basics and make a sauce from canned tomatoes and our own spices! So not to worry, on the low FODMAP diet you can still have delicious tomato sauces to accompany gluten free (low FODMAP) pasta dishes!
This one-pot Low FODMAP Chicken and Pasta Casserole is a great recipe for a week night dinner. I love that the dishes to clean afterwards are minimal as everything just gets thrown in the same cooking bowl. This might just be one of my favourite recipes that I have created so far, and I can’t wait to hear if you agree!
Low FODMAP Chicken Pasta Casserole
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 large red bell pepper
- Can of crushed/puree tomatoes (396 ml)
- Can of diced tomatoes (796 ml)
- 2.5 cups water
- 2 tbsp oregano
- 2 tbsp basil
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp dried rosemary
- 4 cups (dried) of your favourite gluten-free penne pasta (or a similar pasta)
- 3 cups chopped fresh spinach
- Grated Mozzarella cheese for sprinkling
- Parmesan cheese for sprinkling
- On medium high heat, add canola oil and chicken to a large pot and cook until chicken is golden brown on both sides. (The inside does not need to be completely cooked at this step, as it will continue to cook with the pasta later).
- As the chicken cooks, dice the bell pepper and add to the pot once the outside of the chicken is browned.
- Sauté pepper with chicken for 8 minutes, and then add the diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, water, spices, and pasta. Press pasta below water the best you can.
- Bring to a boil, and then lower to medium heat and let sit uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Add chopped spinach and cook 5 more minutes or until pasta is al dente.
- Sprinkle dish with grated parmesan and mozzarella cheese and enjoy!
- Optional: If pot is oven safe, place pot in oven and broil uncovered on low heat until cheese is just turning golden. (This will only take 2-3 minutes, so watch closely)