As promised – I am going to attempt to re-create for you the delectable and easy acai smoothie bowl I had in Bali!
Breakfast is my favourite meal of the day – to find a new favourite food at my favourite meal makes me happy as a monkey with a banana! (I wanted to say a pig in S%!t, butttttt… that’s not appetizing…)
While smoothie bowls are ‘all the rage’ in Australia right now, I have yet to see them in Canada. They’ve infiltrated some health-conscious big American cities, like LA and New York, and I’m sure they’ll eventually make their way up here. They are generally composed of acai – but I see no reason to not get a little creative – use straight blueberries if running out for one ingredient is holding you back! You whip up an extra-thick smoothie (read: ice cream-esque), add some fresh-cut fruit, crunchy granola, and whatever else you may feel appropriate! Don’t let this tasty, super sweet breakfast fool you – it’s full of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, fibre, and protein!
Why Acai Bowls are the bomb for breakfast:
- You can add extra ingredients to them to make them extra filling – my personal favourite – Crunchy Vanilla Coconut Granola!
- I prefer to eat my breakfast, rather than drink it. I like texture, I like making the perfect mouthful, and I like breakfast to be a sit-down and enjoy event. It allows me to be present in my meal – I find with smoothies, while they’re great when you’re in a rush, they’re too easy to throw down the hatch, and BAM! You forget about paying attention to enjoying your food. I really feel the ‘bowl’ concepts’ got it made – it will help you keep mindful – ergo – excellent for weight management!
- Their pretty. Real pretty. I love beautiful food – it’s half the fun of eating!
This is the recipe I’ve come up with – let me know your thoughts, and share with me what YOU put on your smoothie bowl!
Andrea’s Easy Bali-Inspired Acai Smoothie Bowl
- For Smoothie
- 1 packet Sabazon acai smoothie pack
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- ⅓ cup milk (I used almond)
- ⅓ cup coconut water
- ½ banana - frozen (try to have the foresight to freeze a banana... otherwise you won't have that ice-cream texture)
- For Toppings
- ½ cup Crunchy Vanilla Coconut Granola
- ½ banana, diced
- ½ cup fresh berries
- Fresh mint or edible flowers, for garnish (if you're feeling extra fan-cay)
- In blender, combine all ingredients for smoothie. Blend until smooth.
- Pour smoothie into a bowl.
- Top with your favourite ingredients - I've listed mine above.
- Enjoy all the texture-y goodness with a spoon!
Here is the link to the granola – Crunchy Vanilla Coconut Granola.
*Really, you could add ANYTHING you’d like. The beauty of smoothie bowls are you could make them different every day!