I fell in love with the flavours in Berry Nourished’s Moroccan-Quinoa Salad and decided to create my own rendition of this quick and simple salad! I amped up the cinnamon flavour in this dish, and kept the colourful array of vegetables that make this dish taste and look so delicious!
This dish consists of chickpeas that provide a great source of protein and fibre, and fresh vegetables to help increase your vegetable count for the day!
If you fall in love with the flavor and simplicity of this salad like I did, try doubling (or tripling) the recipe next time, as this dish is great for quick grab-on-the-go lunches!
Once you start chopping, it doesn’t take long to double the ingredients, and it can help eliminate prep time on a busy night!
Cinnamon-Tahini Chickpea Salad
- 1/2 cup quinoa (uncooked)
- 1 19 oz can of chickpeas
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 3 green onions, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cups spinach, chopped
- 1/4 cup silvered almonds
- 1/2 cup currants
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp water
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- Cook quinoa as directed on packaging. Set aside to cool.
- Rinse and drain the can of chickpeas and place in a large bowl.
- Chop the vegetables and add to the bowl of chickpeas.
- Add the almonds and currants, and the cooled quinoa.
- In a separate bowl, mix all the dressing ingredients together and stir well.
- Pour the dressing into the large bowl and stir well.
- Serve immediately, or save for quick lunches on the go!
Developed by: Nancy Gammack
Nutrition and Food Science Student at the University of Alberta