To me, the perfect snack is salty and sweet. I LOVE energy balls – especially in the summer when I’m busy, and need something quick I can eat on the golf course! We made these energy balls for the Husky Wellness Fair 2018.
I love this recipe because:
- the energy balls are easy to make ahead and keep well in the freezer (up to one month ish)
- They’re balanced, with fibre, protein, and fat
- They are good for your gut microbiota
- I use them A LOT in my patients that struggle with constipation
- They are super easy to eat in the car on the way to work or if you’re running out the door and need a snack
Anything-Goes Energy Balls
- 2 cups dried pitted dates or prunes
- 1 cup quick oats
- ¾ cup nut butter (I used almond)
- Energy balls are super versatile, you can throw any ingredients in and blend to desired consistency! Other ingredients we like in ours:
- Additional add-ins: shredded carrots, coconut, chocolate chips or cocoa, hemp, flax, other dried fruit, apple.
- Spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, Chinese 5 spice, can add interesting flavours to your energy balls.
- Blend in food processor, and roll into balls. Keep in a container in the fridge and grab and go in the morning! Great to pair with a yogurt in the morning!
Recipe Tips and Tricks
Energy balls are SO versatile. You can make apple cinnamon, carrot cake, cinnamon bun, chocolate, the list goes on and on! All you have to do is swap ingredients in similar ratios (really, it’s hard to screw up – not sticky enough? add more fruit, honey or maple syrup). Too sticky or wet? add more oats. Ta da!
Our favourite flavour pairings:
- carrot with cinnamon, ginger, and cardamom
- apple and cinnamon
- coconut and chocolate
- cherry chocolate
- dried blueberry and cranberry