Best-Ever Strawberry Rhubarb Baked Oatmeal
Oh yes. This BEST EVER Strawberry Rhubarb Baked Oatmeal is to DIE for. Do you like eating pie for breakfast? It’s basically that good. Did I mention, it’s low FODMAP?! Yay for all you IBS’ers out there!
May and June are the months where we start getting rhubarb in Calgary – and I SO look forward to them. I don’t have my own bush, but I stopped in at the farmers market this weekend to pick some up.
Strawberry rhubarb pie is one of my all-time FAVORITE desserts – but of course – pie for breakfast is ya know, not usually recommended. So I decided to make the most AMAZING strawberry rhubarb baked oatmeal – full of fibre, protein, and fruit – and JUST as delicious as pie!
BEST EVER Strawberry Rhubarb Baked Oatmeal (low FODMAP!)
- 4 stocks rhubarb
- 1 lb strawberries (1 plastic carton's worth), quartered
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ½ lemon juiced (and zested if you want to want a more lemony flavour)
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup ground almonds (I pulse mine in a blender)
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup (or honey if you'e not low FODMAP)
- pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup almond milk (or lactose free milk)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- In a pot, combine rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, and lemon. Simmer until the fruit breaks apart and thickens to jam-like consistency.
- In a bowl, combine oats, almonds, maple syrup, salt, eggs, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon.
- In a 9x9 pyrex dish, pour the rhubarb mixture.
- Top the rhubarb mixture with the oat mixture.
- With a spoon, gently lift spoons of the rhubarb mixture from the bottom, to the top of the dish, to get the 'swirls' of fruit.
- Bake for 20-25 min, or until set.
- Serve warm, topped with greek yogurt and a drizzle of maple syrup.
Strawberry Rhubarb Baked Oatmeal Tips & Tricks
- Top with a dollop of plain green yogurt and a small drizzle of maple syrup, or honey if you’re not low FODMAP – serious breakfast magic. You’re welcome (for changing your life – I know – modesty ain’t my thang.)
- Swap cinnamon for ginger if you want to try a bit of a different flavour! Equally as delicious.
- Portion oats into 8 servings, and refrigerate in individual Tupperware. That way you can grab and go easily in the morning! For extra ease, bring an individually portioned yogurt to go!